Internet of Medical Things: Features and Opportunities
People need convenient and useful digital technologies. In particular, according to Statista, user spending on the Internet of Things has doubled since 2017. Moreover, it is expected to grow 6 times bigger within the next five years. IoMT offers benefits to people in various areas of medicine. The main advantage of using the Internet of Things in healthcare services is the availability and simplicity of medical services. Let’s discuss health care areas that require good IoT startups and the future of the market.
What is IoT
The Internet of Things or IoT is a system of interrelated, internet-connected devices that automatically communicate over wireless networks automatically. It allows users to forget about different routine tasks and manage many daily activities through their smartphones. In the long term, the results of IoT implementation will significantly restructure economic and social processes. Eventually, they will require no human intervention.
Here are some areas where IoT is used:
Areas of IoT use in medicine
One of the key success factors of a medical and any other startup is a correctly chosen niche. Here are some promising areas of IoT in the healthcare industry that could become your business ideas:
Let’s take a closer look at some examples of IoT in healthcare.
Devices for patients
Most medical IoT devices are used to monitor patients to know when they will need help. These technologies can be used for:
- Tracking blood glucose levels. 1 in 10 people suffer from diabetes, making such devices vital for many people. The CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) constantly controls glucose indicators and sends the collected data to smartphones, so patients don’t need to go to a laboratory or buy a special glucometer. Besides, these mobile devices can share collected information with healthcare professionals and patients’ families.
- Monitoring heart condition. Нeart rate checks do not protect people with health issues from rapid changes in their condition. Conventional continuous cardiac monitoring devices require patients to be constantly connected to wired machines. Conversely, medical devices for heart rate monitoring allow patients to move freely, while their heart health is kept constantly under control. According to Trail Runner, these devices are 90% accurate.
- Managing mental health. IoT devices can also be useful for those who are prone to anxiety or depression. These devices monitor patients’ heart rate, blood pressure, and even eye movement. Besides, special medical apps regularly ask patients about their condition. Clients stay calm and notice deterioration in its early stages.
- Producing smart contact lenses. Wearable devices powered with IoT technology will help people see better. They can also be integrated with other digital health services. For example, they allow customers to take pictures just by looking at the object. These technologies can turn human eyes into powerful tools for interacting with the world.
- Hand washing notifications. Previously, such devices were not in-demand, but now more hospitals are implementing them. Wearable sensors detect the level of hand contamination and notify patients to wash them. Certainly, such devices cannot wash hands instead of their owners, but CleanLink experts argue that such technology can reduce the spread of infections by 60%. Thus, they can also lower healthcare costs.
The use of these devices has beneficial consequences: healthy patients, better treatment, and safe life. With thorough idea development and competent execution, they are radically changing people’s lives.
Keeping track of all equipment, especially in large clinics, is challenging. The lack of good monitoring systems can lead to sudden breakdowns, which can at best affect the company’s financial performance and, at worst, the health of patients. IoT sensors embedded in equipment lower these risks. They notify the hospital staff of malfunctions in a tomograph or an increase in temperature in a refrigerator with biomaterial. Healthcare providers are able to react quickly and fix problems with minimal harm, also improving patient care.
During the pandemic, disinfection solutions have been especially relevant. The Internet of Things allows medical devices to monitor the condition of rooms and, if necessary, disinfect them, freeing personnel from this task. Thus, hospitals and clinics maintain a healthy microclimate which is good for patient health. Such solutions can be used not only in a medical facility but also in other public places such as cafes, cinemas, shops, malls, etc.
Managing healthcare organizations
The rising automation makes lives easier. In medicine, it’s a way to remotely track medications, keep medical records, and monitor available medical equipment for procedures and research. Software applications can be useful to patients. They help navigate huge hospital complexes and find the needed wards or medical professionals. Organization management products can be useful across all patient care industries.
IoT in medicine market
The Medtech industry is growing fast, and IoT is no exception. According to Markets and Markets, the global healthcare IoT market will grow from $72.5 billion in 2020 to $188.2 billion by 2025 with a CAGR of 21%. Although the market is large, it lacks simple and useful solutions. People are still skeptical of machines, so it’s crucial to create products that convince customers of the value of IoT based products. The combination of modern technologies and an abundance of opportunities allows the IoT market in medicine to grow rapidly and replenish with new products. The result is a comfortable treatment and healthier people.
Many projects that entered the Internet of Things market on time have become in-demand all over the world. Here are some interesting medical startups to guide and inspire you.
MedAngel. Ambient temperature control sensors
Some medicines get spoiled at high temperatures. Using artificial intelligence technology allows MedAngel IoT sensors to monitor temperature and environmental conditions in a healthcare facility and alert the user if they are near a critical point or if medications have already been spoiled. This project is essential for those who take heat-sensitive drugs, improving health conditions and simplifying the treatment process.
Medicsen. Automatic drug delivery system
Such health systems consist of an implanted wireless medical device and an external drug delivery device. They monitor a person’s vital signs and regulate the amount of medication injected. Users have access to individual personalized data. Predicted glucose levels based on patient personal health information could help to avoid potential risks during the device operation.
Elfi-Tech. Self-test devices
A patient monitoring system with self-test options allows patients to check their blood, urine, etc., and monitors patients indicators. Hence, people do not have to waste time queuing at medical centers, especially if they have to control these indicators all the time. Test results are immediately available in the app connected to the tester. The device non-invasively measures skin blood flow, blood flow velocity, coagulation, vascular status, and relative cardiac output (RCO) in addition to pulse and movement.
Self Care Originals. Smart healthcare systems
Systems detect symptoms of an asthma attack, heart attack, or epilepsy before they start. They automatically notify owners and designated trustees to alert them of dangerous changes right after the detection. They work in conjunction with the app and web portal and help asthma patients set medication reminders, collect data, and manage treatment plans.
InPen. Smart injectors
Smart pens-injectors automatically record the time and size of the medication dose used. They immediately recommend the next dose. The devices interact with smartphone apps that store and share information to help patients calculate medication dosage and get analytic reports.
Health care is one of the most rewarding fields of IoT use. People value modern medicine and want to be healthy. If you offer them the right and quality product, they will choose you instead of your competitors. Have an idea for a MedTech project? Email us at email@example.com, we will be happy to create it with you.